My journey with my new 29 gallon long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe you can only get 50 lb bags.. Shipping is going to be brutal I'd think.. Where are you located? Also what's your water like? Hard/soft? Ph? I recommend apisto cac's because they are beautiful and a bit more forgiving than the other apisto's.. Depending on your water and experience the aggazis may not be the best choice.. No offense! Just throwing it out there.. I've passed on some amazing apisto's.. Simple perfect! All because my water was not suited for them.. Not saying you cannot alter your parameters to suit any species it's just taking it to a whole new level..

Ok good idea.. I'll go with the cac.

I got pool filter sand :) is 50 pounds enough?
How thick should it be?

Thx - supergummy

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395274506.464795.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395274506.464795.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395274506.464795.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 55
I'm still waiting to get the API master test kit. I got some API test strips but heard they weren't that good.

That looks great! Better than what I used..give it a quick wash, about 1-3" of a bed should be good.. Make sure to poke around with a fork after it's in to release air pockets!

50 lbs should be plenty. Since you are planning on crypts, make it between 2-3" where you want to plant them, I'd say. Enough to get root tabs under them, and allow for the growth of the roots. Crypts can grow some pretty impressive root systems. :)

50 lbs should be plenty. Since you are planning on crypts, make it between 2-3" where you want to plant them, I'd say. Enough to get root tabs under them, and allow for the growth of the roots. Crypts can grow some pretty impressive root systems. :)
very true! I pulled one after a few months and it's roots had more mass than it's leaves!

Cool, going to put it in tonight! How should I rinse it? I'm going to do 2 inches!

A bucket and garden hose would be the best, just fill it up halfway w sand and run hose to bottom if bucket and run water until overflow is clear, or out in a pillow case and run water through it.

On the bag it says that the sand has already been cleaned ( see pic) is it still necessary to wash it?

Technically no. But....BUT... would you really want to risk any issues by accepting their claim?? I personally wash everythinggg that goes in my tank! I feel like a surgeon scrubbing on whenever I plan on getting my hands wet..

Finally, the tank is up and running!

Here's a pic of tank with heater and filter. I also picked up a new background with dual sides, one with reef life, the other is blue, tell me which you like better.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395445124.865977.jpg

You guys also said you wanted my tap water parameters. Using API test strip.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395445192.454697.jpg

I wool be getting these tommorow

1 API master test kit
2 new starter and bulb for lighting
3 ammonia dose

Here's my question

I was going to transfer my filter media from my 10 gallon to my 29 but they were different sizes, what should I do to get good bacteria?

Should I add plants?

Should I add snails?

Thx - Supergummy

Can you cut up the media from the 10 and put it into the new filter that way? If not, just float it in the tank for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom