Starting 29 gallon reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Khij159753 said:
So I'm pretty sure I got rid of the apstasia :) and I'm pretty sure my birdsnest frag is dying. But the other stony coral still has lots of color so that's good :) and all my sorties are doing good :) this week in thinking I'll probably get test kits and maybe another powerhead cause mines not circulating water enough. (probably why the birdsnest is dying)

Ya never know- I have a birds nest that was 90% white, was gonna throw it out couple months ago, but didn't. Now it is all brown again and looks better than ever!!

No way? I just looked at mine again and the bottoms brown the tops gettin some color and it's growin some branches and the polyps are out :)

So I want that kind of coral that grows out like an over hang and makes like shelves. Anyone know what I'm talkin about an can tell me what it's called? And does anyone know other good corals for making like a reef type feel?

Khij159753 said:
So I want that kind of coral that grows out like an over hang and makes like shelves. Anyone know what I'm talkin about an can tell me what it's called? And does anyone know other good corals for making like a reef type feel?

Type of plate coral. There are different ones. Also there are caps like montipora

Flowy stuff gives the reef like feel. Xenia, anthelias, frog spawn, hammers, torches, etc. But to me, a crapload of coralline makes a reef a reef.

scottayy said:
Flowy stuff gives the reef like feel. Xenia, anthelias, frog spawn, hammers, torches, etc. But to me, a crapload of coralline makes a reef a reef.

I have to disagree but this subject is definitely all about opinion. My "reef feel" would be plating montis and chalices with lots of branching sps and brains/acans on the floor since when I think of a reef I picture the "reef builders" of corals. Although a few "flowing" corals always looks nice to get a feel of the water movement in the tank.

To be honest if the coral can move in a current, than to me it will have that reef feel... A lot of ppl are all about sps that doesn't move and I don't care for it. I could buy fake sps and give it the same look. Things like flower pots, and frogspawn make it look reefy to me. Bit that's just my opinion

Very interesting and diverse answers :) inlove to hear all the different opinions! I kinda like stayin toward the sorties cause they're easier to tell if they're doing good. But I'm not opposed to gettin some sps. What are your favorite corals that "make" your reefs?

Khij159753 said:
Very interesting and diverse answers :) inlove to hear all the different opinions! I kinda like stayin toward the sorties cause they're easier to tell if they're doing good. But I'm not opposed to gettin some sps. What are your favorite corals that "make" your reefs?

Torch, hammer and frogspawn are really nice to watch.

Depends on the size but small frags around me go for $5-$20 for single heads. Large colonies could get up and over $100

Dang. Ill probably get small frags but I gotta get at Least 1 coral big enough for my last addition, a clownfish, to host haha.

Google reef clubs from your state and see what's around. You can get stuff a lot cheaper than lfs

Idk. My LFS has extremely low prices. They're always at or below live aquarias prices.

Khij159753 said:
Idk. My LFS has extremely low prices. They're always at or below live aquarias prices.

That's good then. I only have one real good one. But there's a club near me outta Boston and I got some awesome deals from guys the raise corals to protect the wild reefs.

Sweet. I just don't know about how much most corals big enough to host a clown go for. I'll probably ask him next time I go in but figured id ask on here first. If it's not super expensive I might buy a few options then some frags :p

Corals can really vary a lot. You could get a pretty large hammer for $60-$100 while a rare morph or variety of that same coral could go for thousands literally lol

I've found some chalices that are like $1250 per eye which I would love to have the job of who evers buying it haha

Khij159753 said:
Sweet. I just don't know about how much most corals big enough to host a clown go for. I'll probably ask him next time I go in but figured id ask on here first. If it's not super expensive I might buy a few options then some frags :p

Just remember there is no guarantee that your clown will host the coral.

I know. But I figure if I buy a few I'll have a better chance. My other thought was alot of times the LFS will stick the babys in their coral tanks so maybe just get a coral and clown together whatever coral the clown seems to be using as shelter.

Back
Top Bottom